Tuesday, April 11, 2017

HITTING THE JACKPOT IN NEVADA?

Shug daydreaming about marmots


Stretched out in the backseat of the truck, one eye open, I listen to my moms bark about being done with the desert and craving mountain air and adventures. I completely agree with this analysis and start daydreaming about  the smell of pine trees in sunshine, clear mountain streams, and whistling marmots diving into their holes in the alpine meadows. I, too, am done with the desert and all of the prickly things that grow here. I've been speared by yuccas, pricked by mesquite trees, and suffered the pains of having cactus spines pulled from my paws. Give me a good old dirt trail that leads to an aspen meadow.
Boulder Beach camp

As we round the corner near the edge of Boulder City, NV, we head towards our campsite at Boulder Beach campground in Lake Mead National Recreation Area. My moms start howling about "winning the recreation jackpot". Sure, I see the great bike trails like the historic railway trail that winds along a stone ledge above Lake Mead and leads riders through five carved-rock tunnels on the way to Hoover Dam. And my moms go all waggy about the River Mountains Loop Trail, 34 miles of non-motorized paved bike path climbing up and down through desert beauty, connecting Boulder City, Henderson, the Las Vegas valley, and Lake Mead NRA--it passes right through our campground.
Historic Railway Trail

As if the bicycling trails were not enough, the blue green waters of Lake Mead beckon just a short walk down the road. My moms start dancing and turning circles about kayaking on these calm and windless days. Oh, it's been such a long time, and oh the water looks so inviting. Sigh.



Shug working on her cycling skills

So what do I think of Lake Mead NRA? The early morning walks are pleasant, but I have to be on a leash, a common practice in populated areas like campgrounds, but demeaning nonetheless. All I do is plod along and observe the rabbits hopping and lizards skittering under bushes...boring! I spend time working on my cycling skills and ride around the campground in my bike trailer, but it's not that comfortable and not that challenging​. On one occasion I fell out onto my hip and nearly got run over by my own mom. I tried not to make a big deal of it, but I was a little embarrassed, mostly for her.
Kayaking bliss

Here's the real deal: While my moms are out biking and kayaking and having a great time, I am left alone in the trailer listening to the same CD over and over. I prefer listening to NPR on the radio, but, and I hate to sound overly negative, the radio reception here sucks and plays all static all the time. I drag myself up onto the bed and mope myself to sleep. On a more positive note, I am racking up some serious guilt hugs and treats when they finally make their way back home. Who knows how many more days I'll have to suffer like this.
Suffering


Start of Railway Trail
Tunnel on Railway Trail

Historic bridge behind us.

Hoover Dam
Big bike/mountain bike area

River Mountains Loop Trail
Bonkered

River Mountains Loop Trail


Annette kayaking/Lake Mead

Shug enjoying the ride

What a dog










No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments. Write to us.