Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Big BendTexas and the Lonesome Dove Novel


Annette, Santa Elena Canyon

I received a gift today. Annette has us reading the Lonesome Dove series as we roll through Texas. It has been fun traveling through some of the places described in the book. Sometimes the story and reality merge. On several occasions while driving I will think that Buffalo Hump will ride out of the Dry Texas landscape looking for scalps. Today we were putting our kayaks into the Rio Grande River, as Annette was parking the truck I was looking across the River at the Mexico b...ank, my thoughts were moving between how cool it is to be seeing the river boundary and the river bank in Mexico and wow hope I don't get kidnapped by a pistolero. Out of the blue a beautiful male voice begins singing across the river, a Spanish ballad. I couldn't see anyone because of the mesquite trees on the bank. After a few minutes I see a Mexican cowboy riding his horse across the plains. I felt for a moment that I was actually in the Lonesome Dove novel with a vaquero. A gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments. Write to us.